The Point

Monday, October 01, 2007

Closer

For those of you who ever met Ross Moroz, it is with difficulty and a good deal of sadness that I would like to let those of you who haven't heard know that he died suddenly and inconceivably last Wednesday. If you haven't heard about him before, you've probably read me writing obliquely about him in this blog before. For the year or so I've been doing freelance work for Vue, he's been my editor, but he was many things to me, and most of all one of the most surprising good friends I know, knew... I'm no good with tenses, forgive me.

Last year we were at Remedy talking about writing, and I asked if he would mind helping me put together a few samples of my stuff to send to See, since they'd been looking for writers (specifically, they had put out an ad [which I may still have] that said 'Yeah, you've got a blog. But we've got an audience.') He said 'Fuck that. Write something for us.'

Ross had a way of encouraging with a sharp kick in the ass that I needed. I cannot really comprehend yet that he's gone. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't.

His obituary is online here, and in his picture he's wearing the tie he wore the very first day we met. It was a hard day to forget, like every day with Ross. A funeral, a 'celebration,' as it's being called is being held for him this Tuesday, October 2nd at Devon Community Center, 20 Haven Ave, (East of IGA) in Devon at 4:00 pm. [Edit: If you were wondering, yes, all are welcome.] His family's asked that in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Kidsport Alberta - 403.217.3761.

Labels: ,

posted by Christopher at 12:51 a.m.

6 Comments:

Nothing I write seems suitable to express my sorrow in regards to Ross' passing. I went to high school with him, and though we rarely talked I still considered him a friend. His strong character sticks with me still.
I can't believe I'm never going to see him at a show, or watch him perform in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or read a new article written by him. He was multi talented and kind till the end.

The world has lost such an amazing person.
Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 01, 2007 8:59:00 p.m.  
You know, I've never gotten a chance to see them play. Nothing I write seems right either, Louise.
Blogger Christopher, at Monday, October 01, 2007 9:15:00 p.m.  
I'm currently in Japan, but knew Ross years ago, but hadn't heard! I've looked up the obit, but what on earth happened?????

LF
Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 01, 2007 9:42:00 p.m.  
Hi LF,

All I've heard are rumours. I'll try to write a more accurate account of what exactly happened after tomorrow. If anyone else has any genuine information, feel free to post it.
Blogger Christopher, at Monday, October 01, 2007 10:22:00 p.m.  
Thank you Christopher, I really would appreciate anything you can tell me...

LF
Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, October 01, 2007 11:13:00 p.m.  
A friend who works with his mother tells me the heartbreaking truth is that it was suicide.

I wish I'd heard in time to attend the service.
Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, October 03, 2007 12:34:00 a.m.  

Add a comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.